Sunday, November 15, 2009

Potty Training in 3 Days?!?

The idea: 3 days of not leaving the house and wearing nothing from the waste down while awake (that last part applies only to Liam). Once he realizes that when he pees it is making a mess on the floor, he will gain the insight to stop himself and go in the potty.

We just ended the 2nd full day of training and I am shocked to report that it's working. He only had one accident today and that was because we had gone outside for a couple of minutes and I forgot to take his pants off when we got back in. Every other time he has walked HIMSELF over the the potty and gone without any prompting from Chris or I. We have both a potty and a seat that goes onto the toilet because I wasn't sure which one he would be more comfortable with.
Seems the potty has won that battle and I am convinced it's because he doesn't need any help from us to use it. 1 accident and 9 successes all initiated by him!

The first day we focused more on the seat in the toilet and he was scared of the whole process. He cried everytime we put him on. But slowly he saw the method to our madness. Once he started getting the routine and realizing he could do it himself like a big boy, it was pretty smooth sailing. We used a sticker chart as a reward system which also worked better than I thought it would. Now I don't know if this is all a fluke, but it's looking pretty promising and I am really proud of him. Chris took tomorrow off to continue the training. And then we are supposed to keep him out of underwear or diapers for 3 more months. I don't know about that part. I haven't talked to Jordanna yet about how we will tackle training at daycare and I'm not gonna put a time limit on underwear for him. When he seems pretty consistent with going, we'll start underwear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is amazing - I am so proud of our angel! Judy